Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help with focussing

trewinneyfarm

UK
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Help with focussing"

trewinneyfarm Registered since 02nd Jan 2013
Sat 02-Mar-13 07:53 PM

Hello Malchew.
Two out of three... I am new to nikonians....and new to bird photography although I've had a D200 for several years now. Sorry, I don't know your level of experience with either photography or the birds.....but please believe me when I say....I know where you're coming from. I would also state that I am definitely not a Pro...nor anywhere near it!......however.....
Here is my standard settings for bird photography on the move on my D200...
I use an 80 to 400 mm VR lens... 5.6 aperture max. Which I obviously set on VRII all the time!
My D200 is always set to A. mode all the time. The auto focus is set to dynamic group, which is the second setting from the bottom on the AF dial
(Sorry if I am working from too basic a level of knowledge of the D200 ...)
Then if you enter the autofocus menu on the D200 ...under dynamic group....choose the wide option. this should enable you to focus on the bird which is prominent in your display.
If you only have the sky as a background...it's should suffice to give you good results as the "A" mode setting should give you "sharp" images of your subject.
The final consideration would be the amount of available light..... You would have to set the ISO to the setting which would give the best results for the activity of the subject.
Obviously, if the bird is doing handstands and flamenco's, you will want to up the ISO to whichever level would give you an acceptable recording of the activity.....if the bird was asleep on a post.... You could obviously set the ISO a lot lower...
Once again, I am sorry if I have over simplified.....or under-estimated you expertise with the Nikon D200. So please forgive me if I am teaching my Grandma to suck eggs!
It took me a little time to work out these things on my own....not having the knowledge of the Nikonians behind me....or to call upon!

Just to say that....when I am out and about....I get seriously good results by using the above settings. hopefully, someone more experienced than myself will be able to push us both on to bigger and better things.

Good luck for your future shoots....

A general, generic topic Help with focussing [View all] , malchew , Fri 22-Feb-13 01:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help with focussing