Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is there room for a D400 - Photography life asks?

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is there room for a D400 - Photography life asks?"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Mon 04-Mar-13 10:24 PM

>> Don't you think if Nikon saw the need for a pro DX body it would have made one?

>> Count me in that group.. The question is are we abandoned or is Nikon clueless.

Not necessarily abandoned or clueless. They could be waiting for the technology to satisfy *all* of the niche market for that camera.

The sports guys want 8fps. The birders want 24 mpx. A lot of birders want both, maybe a lot of sports guys too.

If Nikon came out with a 5 fps D400, you would never hear the end of the complaining. If they came out with a pushing $2K camera with less resolution than their $500 entry level camera, you would never hear the end of the complaining.

No Nikon camera moves 8 x 24 mpx per second to the buffer. That's 192 mpx/second. The D4 only moves 160-176 mpx/second.

The problem is that in only a couple of years the "expected" resolution has doubled or tripled. Maybe we are our own worst enemies.

There are things Nikon could have done to smooth this process, like make the D800 shoot faster in DX crop mode, or perhaps even the D7100 in its crop mode. I fault them for that, and severely, particularly if they really kill the D300 lineage.

>> As somebody who has tried to buy a $15 replacement part from Nikon and was told i'd have to send the Camera in.... Nikon hasn't made any sense to me in the past few years.

That doesn't make sense to me either. I know for myself it has created more ill will and loss of "loyalty" than they can possibly recoup by saving a few shekels in the parts dept. But I am not convinced the "D400 problem" is purely marketing or accounting decisions. There may be a huge tech hurdle there.

Or... some group is going to be very unhappy with the D400- and my guess would be that they would cut the frame rate a bit, maybe split the difference at 7 fps so no one can get terribly upset (6 fps would upset a lot of people). I just can't see them doing 16 mpx, which is less than the now ancient 7D.

And wait a year or two for the tech to catch up. Might have even been the reason they updated from the bottom up, which many found quite... strange. The D7100 is moving 144 mpx/second, which is more than any Nikon camera has to date, short of the D4.

my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Is there room for a D400 - Photography life asks? [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member , Fri 22-Feb-13 05:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is there room for a D400 - Photography life asks?