Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300s (et.al) Memory cards

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10646 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300s (et.al) Memory cards"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 16-Feb-13 04:41 PM

Based on testing by Rob Galbraith, the fastest CF cards are nearly 50% faster than the fastest SD cards. I had to look at the D800 stats to find comparable test results, but it should be applicable to the D300s.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12451

I find 8GB cards are generally big enough to handle a day of shooting, but I prefer a 16 GB card for a little more room. It strikes a nice balance between price and having enough space for a day of shooting. I don't see a lot of need to go larger on the D300s.

I also have a D800E and a D600. On the D800E with the larger file size I use a 32GB CF card - and it's plenty. I have a 32 GB SD card as backup on my D800E, but just use 16 GB SD cards on my D600 and V1. If you are shooting video, you can burn through a large card in a relatively short time so large cards are much more important.

The vast majority of card problems are related to user error. There are some problems with counterfeits, but lost cards, damaged cards, download mistakes, etc are by far the more frequent problems. A single large card - but not too large - reduces that risk but increases the loss if there is a mistake. I don't place a lot of weight on this issue since it is so unlikely and instead emphasize a balance between speed and price by buying one level behind the fastest card and a size below the largest card.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic D300s (et.al) Memory cards [View all] , Larry4235 Silver Member , Sat 09-Feb-13 05:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300s (et.al) Memory cards