Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300s (et.al) Memory cards

marsmail

UK
170 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300s (et.al) Memory cards"

marsmail Registered since 27th Aug 2010
Tue 12-Feb-13 11:09 AM

The latest generation SD cards have significantly increased in speed, but still lag far behind Compact Flash cards.
Top rate CF is capable of write speeds of 90 + Mb/s BUT the D300s is only capable of writing about 30 - 32 Mb/s so there is no real advantage in paying for a much faster card, except that when transfering via a card reader to your computer, the faster read speed is an advantage.
Regarding size, I stick to max 8Gb cards. This gives me bout 400 images per and reduces the loss if one goes "bad" (I have had 2 Transcend CF cards do that over the years and am stopping using that brand for that reason). Additionally I am set up to write all to both cards so I have an immediate backup, it does slow things down a bit, but I feel safer doing it like that.
Each to his own though!

marsmail

A general, generic topic D300s (et.al) Memory cards [View all] , Larry4235 Silver Member , Sat 09-Feb-13 05:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300s (et.al) Memory cards