Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 - Playback: Image Magnifier

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13754 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300 - Playback: Image Magnifier"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Mon 14-Jan-13 09:53 PM | edited Mon 14-Jan-13 10:55 PM by dm1dave

After Grahame’s excellent suggestion I did some testing.

The result was that...

6 pushes of the zoom button = 100% magnification
(Setting, custom setting f1, to automatically zoom, to medium magnification, when you press the multi selector center button will give you the same zoom level.

Here is how I determined this...

100% zoom or crop is defined as --->> 1 pixel in the image = 1 pixel on the display.

The D300 LCD pixel dimensions are 640px x 480px
(this is from the DPR D300 review--->> “922,000 pixels (VGA; 640 x 480 x 3 colors”)

I used Corel Draw to create a grid pattern on a sheet of paper.

I filled in 4 squares in the center of the grid as a reference to identify the center of the frame.

Then, I photographed the grid pattern with the focus point over the marked squares.

I copied the image to the computer and exported it as a TIFF file and then returned the card, with the original NEF, to the camera.

I then, created a blank Photoshop document to match the size, in pixeles, of the cameras LCD --> 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high.

I opened the full size image (4288px x 2848px) of the grid.

Then, selected the entire grid image, copied and pasted it into the new blank document.

I centered the grid image in the blank document and flattened the layers. This gives me a 100% crop of the grid image at 640x480 pixels matching what you should see in the camera LCD at 100% zoom.

Then, I compared the Photoshop image to the actual image on the cameras LCD. At 6 pushes of the zoom button the visible image area image on the camera matched the 640x480px, 100%, crop in Photoshop.

Here are the images...

Full Frame for reference (size reduced for posting)

Click on image to view larger version

Comparison of Photoshop image and LCD image. (the 100% crop image has not been reszied for posting)

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

A general, generic topic D300 - Playback: Image Magnifier [View all] , deu1 Gold Member , Fri 04-Jan-13 09:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 - Playback: Image Magnifier