Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

teleconvertor for d200 and lenses

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2948 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: teleconvertor for d200 and lenses"

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Wed 02-Jan-13 07:24 PM

I don't disagree with Dave's recommendation that you'd be better off with a longer lens rather than putting a teleconverter on your 80-400. But, as a hobbyist myself and 80-400 owner, I sometimes use a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter with my 80-400 and it works adequately. The image quality is good, though I'm sure you'd do better with one of the Sigma zooms Dave recommends, and it autofocuses OK in good light on my D300.

You say you can't justify the expense of a longer telephoto (that's what I was thinking too), so you might try the Kenko. It does work, and you can get usable images with it. But, in anything other than bright sunlight you will notice it can have autofocus issues.

The 80-400 with the Kenko 1.4x is fun to use and you'll probably like the images you get with it (there has been a debate on this, though, as to whether you'd do just as well using the lens without the 1.4x and cropping). But particularly because of autofocus issues in anything but good light, you shouldn't think of this as a good substitute for a longer lens.

One reason I'm not inclined to trade my 80-400 for a Sigma zoom is that I like the 80-400. It is relatively small and light (for 400mm) and the zoom range is useful in many situations (without the teleconverter).

Randy

A general, generic topic teleconvertor for d200 and lenses [View all] , trewinneyfarm , Wed 02-Jan-13 02:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: teleconvertor for d200 and lenses