Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300s CF Memory Cards

RABaker

Sunnyvale, US
731 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300s CF Memory Cards"

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003
Mon 10-Dec-12 03:25 PM | edited Mon 10-Dec-12 03:27 PM by RABaker

In a relatively simple series of tests done by The Sports Photo Guy it is pretty clear that going to higher speed cards does provide some write speed increase. A look at the test results at the link below shows that the best cards around 300x allowed write speeds around 23 to 25 MB/sec, while moving up to good cards around 600x resulted in write speeds of 28 to 31 MB/sec. So... doubling the card speed rating provided a marginal increase in camera write speed. Here is a link to his D300 test results:
http://sportsphotoguy.com/d300-raw-burst-test/
A couple of notes:
1. This series of tests was with raw (NEF) files. I think he may have another test on his site with JPEG files.
2. Some cards performed very poorly that claimed relatively fast speeds - see the bottom of the list.

In a related issue, *IF* you have a fast card reader with a high speed connection, going to higher speed cards can make a big difference in the speed that the files are uploaded to your computer. In addition, a faster card than your camera can actually use today may be just right for your next camera.

My approach is to buy the fastest card(s) that I can comfortably afford in order to get good performance from my camera and reasonably fast upload speeds to my computer. The cutting-edge, really fast cards are too expensive for me, but one or two steps down from there fits my needs perfectly.

Good luck,
Richard

A general, generic topic D300s CF Memory Cards [View all] , dswelfelt , Mon 10-Dec-12 12:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300s CF Memory Cards