Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do I really want/need a pro level DX body?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
bjj

Ryde. Isle of Wight, UK
58 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Do I really want/need a pro level DX body?"

bjj Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009
Thu 20-Dec-12 10:31 AM

What a question!
After using a D300s for best part of three years I used to think I did, but after much pondering realised I didn't. (Was I cured of NAS???)
Oh NO, in April, this year, I moved "up-to" FX, buying a D700. What a move to make, why-o-why didn't I do this earlier?? I'm still asking myself that question. Don't kid yourselves the "reach" advantages of crop sensors are lost against the improved picture quality afforded by the full frame - at least this is what I believe.
Didn't go for the D800 or D800E as I didn't want to have huge files slowing down the processing & clogging up my hard drives - I am too weak to throw even marginal pictures away! & as I take around 35,000 shots a year that would require one hell of a lot of extra storage! But when my computer is next upgraded I may be tempted to go for something with more megapixels. (If the D800 had been a 24Mp sensor – I would however, have been very very tempted.
I had been really impressed with images produced by the D7000 and was tempted, for a very brief period, to go for one. However I would have missed the 51 AF points and ability to switch between spot, centre weighted & matric metering – amongst all the other little extras - too much. After using a Pro body like the D300s I would never have been happy going back to a “menu driven” consumer system.
So to sum up – would have liked a replacement for the D300s but now no longer a priority as I have moved on to FX.
Now if Nikon could just produce a Pro DSLR that didn't do video & concentrated on producing sensors that were limited in pixel density but were super sensitive & noise free……… Could shoot in the dark & still retain all colour information...... Had a frame rate in excess of 10f.p.s. with an un-limited capacity …….. The ability to auto focus & track small objects (BIF) …………. I could go on………. What a happy bunny I would be!!
If Nikon continue to produce cameras next year at the rate they have this then I may not have long to wait! Time to start saving for the brick – Jeweller’s windows don’t break themselves you know!!

All the best Brian

If in doubt shoot it! There will never be a second chance.

This is a hot topic  It has been locked by a team member Do I really want/need a pro level DX body? [View all] , JCY88 , Sat 24-Nov-12 12:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do I really want/need a pro level DX body?