Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Sell or keep?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 28-Nov-12 01:41 PM

The prices of used DSLR bodies have all dropped a good bit recently. The D300 has gone from $800 to $500-550 over the past year. The D700 is now around $1500. The D200 is no different. It's actually pretty remarkable that you can still get $250-300 for one when you consider that the last ones sold new for $599 shortly after the release of the D300. It's not unique to digital - film cameras are worth very little now. And I have three old laptops lying around that still work but are functionally obsolete.

I agree that it sounds like a huge drop in value to only get $300 for a camera originally sold for so much more. I'm in the camp that believes having an extra camera is important. It's like insurance - when you need it you really need it. My camera and lens failures almost always occur when I am traveling and not having a backup body or lens means photography is done for the remainder of the trip.

But it's going to continue to drop in value. If a family member does not want or need it, I think selling the camera is a pretty good option. If you need a backup, you can often rent one for a future trip or in many locations simply buy one as needed. In almost any major city, you could immediately buy a D5100 or V2 if you need a backup camera.

I use KEH.com as a reference for the price on used gear. They get a little premium, so as an individual it would be tough to sell your gear for more than 80% of what KEH is asking. Right now they have a model rated EX for $302. That suggests market value to sell your camera is around $250.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Sell or keep? [View all] , misunda Silver Member , Tue 20-Nov-12 07:21 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sell or keep?