Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dm1dave

Lowden, US
13760 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Warblers"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Tue 13-Nov-12 04:57 PM

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the additional info.

>> “There is just no sharpness.”

This tells us that it is not a focus issue but a problem with stability. Long focal length and slow shutter speeds area recipe for soft images. A tripod would keep the camera stable and make it more likely to get sharp shots but it will not help with the motion of the birds.

>> “My shutter speeds are slow…”

Small birds, even when perched, are a very challenging photographic subject. Even when not in-flight they still make very fast movements of their heads and bodies. This requires some fairly fast shutter speeds. I like to be at 1/800s or faster for any small birds. You can shoot slower but you get fewer keepers. Once you get below about 1/180s getting sharp shots is very difficult.

One technique I like for small birds and slow shutter speeds is to put the camera in CH mode and shoot in bursts of 3-4 shots at a time. This increases the likelihood of catching the bird in a truly still moment and getting a clean shot.

Using a shorter TC (TC-14E) will give you one stop more light allowing you to double your shutter speed. It will also help the lens to focus faster. Using the lens without the TC will give you 4x faster shutter speed.

The more that you can fill the frame the better off you will be. If the bird is too far away the camera will have fewer pixels to render the bird so any blur will be exaggerated when you crop and enlarge the bird. I know it is very hard to get closer to the birds but it can be done.

Alan Murphy has Two good books for attracting and photographing small birds.
Just keep trying and you will get better. Nikonians are always here to help. Our Wildlife forum is a great resource with plenty of bird photographers who are willing to help you out. Don’t miss the Wildlife Photography Tricks and Travel Reports thread.

Wildlife photography techniques and advice:
Tips & Tricks

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

A general, generic topic Warblers [View all] , jfitzg14 Silver Member , Thu 08-Nov-12 11:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Warblers