Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
TobyH2

UK
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Warblers"

TobyH2 Registered since 02nd Jul 2012
Fri 09-Nov-12 12:30 PM | edited Fri 09-Nov-12 12:35 PM by TobyH2

Hi there,

You probably are going to need to provide a bit more info about which kit you are using and how you are using it.

I used to use a D300 with a Sigma 300mm f2.8 with a 2x converter and found that with the converter the Auto Focus was not hitting the spot. Manually focused it was good, better still if stopped down a little.

Give us a little more info about exactly which kit you are shooting with and i'm sure there will be some helpful advice.

In the mean time, why not just do a focus test and see if the lens behaves under zero wind / shake, on a tripod and preferrably using a cable / remote release. This eliminates a lot of possible factors just to see if it's a kit problem or a technique problem. I normally shoot at text of some kind where it's easy to see if it's sharp or perhaps grab a focus test sheet from online, I'm sure you can download one.

*edit to add* - Also be aware that warblers and small birds flitting around in bushes are a nightmare for autofocus as it's often difficult to keep the autofocus point(s) on the subject. From memory I think (i'm at work so can't check settings)I use 9 points AF rather than the 51 available so I have a little more control over which part of the scene the camera will attempt to focus on.

TobyH

www.tobyh.myzen.co.uk
(UK wildlife photography)

A general, generic topic Warblers [View all] , jfitzg14 Silver Member , Thu 08-Nov-12 11:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Warblers