Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Finding a Compatable CF card for Nikon D200

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Finding a Compatable CF card for Nikon D200"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 29-Oct-12 03:24 PM

> Buy the fastest cards you can afford.

I pretty strongly disagree. Buy only what you need. In this case, the D200 can't run faster than about 20 MB/sec, no matter how fast the card is, so I would opt for the least expensive quality option. For me that means SanDisk or Lexar, although I have satisfactory results from Kingston too. My Kingston units are much slower than rated speeds, but they are also very inexpensive. Kingston is offering 16GB, 40MB/sec cards at $25 (B&H price), so even if they are half rated speed they're fast enough for the D200. I have lost a total of one frame to CF problems over the course of about 150,000, so I'm less worried about card failure than most. (I also work in the storage industry and I know what happens inside those cards.) I'd still probably buy the SanDisk ones, but see below for why.

> Buying old, slow cards makes little sense. If you upgrade cameras, you'll be stuck with old, slow cards.

Yes, you are. However, there are two points that argue against this position. First, we don't really know what formats will be used in the future. CF in particular seems endangered. It is very possible, and in fact in the case of CF I believe likely, that what one buys now will not even fit in some future camera.

Second, the pace of change in the flash memory area is very high, and prices are on steep downhill trends, while capabilities are steeply upwards. Very likely if one upgrades cameras in the future (meaning at least a few quarters away, if not years), the density and speed will have come down pretty drastically, and you'll be able to get future capability at significantly lower prices. This doesn't apply if you have a camera upgrade planned for the next couple of months, but most of us aren't in that situation.

For example, when I got my D3, I could have gotten 60MB/sec, 16GB CF cards. They would have cost me about $350, if I recall correctly. Today those are two for $97 at B&H - and note that my camera only runs about 32MB/sec in the first place, not 60MB/sec. For me the logical upgrades would be to a D4 or a D800. The D4 is arguably better served with an XQD, so my previous investment in faster CF may not have been relevant. (It might be, but it might not be.) On the D800, I have the choice between CF (where the previous investment might have been useful) and SDXC, which clearly would obsolete the previous investment. Granted in either case I could have continued using my older cards, but see above about the pricing. I'd much rather buy two more today at $97 than have spent the $700 back several years ago. And the future is more cloudy than the D4/D800 - I think we're about done with CF after this current generation, meaning I would not want to invest in any more CF than what I need for now.

> If you don't want more than 289 images on the card, remove it after shooting 289 images.

I totally agree with this.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A topic tagged as in need of help Finding a Compatable CF card for Nikon D200 [View all] , amberswd , Mon 29-Oct-12 12:12 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Finding a Compatable CF card for Nikon D200