Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300 and birds"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Sat 10-Nov-12 04:05 PM | edited Sat 10-Nov-12 04:25 PM by nrothschild

I would not worry about the eyes unless you are extraordinarily close. You would have to be awfully close to a Warbler to get the head large enough to present a good AF target. The head would have to fully fill the sensor reticle.

If you end up with sharp breasts or wings and soft eyes then stop down. You'll probably want to be shooting around f/8 just to make the DOF reasonable.

I developed all my technique, and I test any new gear or technique at my home feeders, and the surrounding habitat where the feeder birds hang out. When I am satisfied with that then I go out in the field.

If you cannot do feeders at home then a local park might let you put some feeders up. People do that in a local nature park where I often bird. Parks have an advantage because you can situate the feeder near the habitat you are attempting to shoot in. You should then get practice with the feeder birds perched in foliage and bushes.

You can get more practice at a feeder in one day then a month in the field. I know it is not quite the same unless you have good habitat around the feeder, but learning on the trail is a long uphill climb.

Just a note to Eric about focus/release priority. For birds in flight I think that decision is a difficult one. But for difficult perched birds, my feeling is that if I can't get the camera to fire using focus priority I'm not going to like the shot I get with release priority.

I may not like a lot of shots I get with focus priority either, but surely my consistency should be way better and I am not going to lose many usable shots. That is my reasoning for always using focus priority, and I would feel more strongly about it if I were having enough difficulty to be here asking for help.

my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! D300 and birds [View all] , jfitzg14 Silver Member , Sun 28-Oct-12 10:49 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 and birds