Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Conflicted on the D400

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2948 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Conflicted on the D400"

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Wed 10-Oct-12 03:40 AM

I'll reply with an answer that applies to my specific case. Might apply to other DX shooters, might not.

I'm an amateur hobbyist, and I'm not going to own a whole fleet of cameras. I just need one, although I'll keep the old ones for backup, and less demanding uses. Right now my main camera is a D300, which I like because of the durable body, weather sealing, and control layout. I might not need a "pro" body, but I like those features of the D300.

A D600 would not be a good substitute for me because most of my lenses are DX lenses. I prefer them lots of times because they are smaller and lighter, and it's also nice that they are less expensive. Some of my lenses are higher-end, and I could use them with a D600 when I need something like that, but I don't want to give up my DX lenses, and I want one camera that will work with all the lenses I'm using. Also, for sports I like the "reach" of DX. I know I could get this by cropping a higher-mp FX image, but then I'd need to replace the DX lenses I want to use.

If I were changing formats, I'd be more inclined to go to M4/3 than to FX. I'd have to buy new lenses either way. But DX is a good compromise between image quality (I love what I get from my D300!) and portability. I just like the higher-end camera.

Most Nikonians are probably more dedicated photographers than I am, but I'm guessing I'm more representative of the broader market of people who actually buy cameras.

Randy

A general, generic topic Conflicted on the D400 [View all] , PerroneFord Silver Member , Mon 08-Oct-12 01:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Conflicted on the D400