Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do you think the D400 will have the af-on button?

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Do you think the D400 will have the af-on button?"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Tue 09-Oct-12 05:28 AM

>As interesting an idea as that is, it isn't going to happen.
>Nikon has always had a high/low strategy in their product
>segments, and an FX D400 doesn't fit for a bunch of different
>reasons (price point, BIF/sports user requirements, etc.). If
>they had call the D600 a D8000 (which would make more sense to
>me), then maybe they'd hint at something like that. But they
>didn't because it doesn't make sense.

I'm not following you here...

High / Low strategy? The D400 becomes the middle partner with the D800/D600/D400 lineup. All FX. And the DX cameras become the sole domain of the 4 digit cameras with the new D7100 taking the lead. That seems quite logical to me. The difficulty would be the numeric convention. We don't hav any 2 digit Nikon's yet though.

As to the BIF/Sports Shooter requirements, I don't get your meaning. The top sports cameras right now and pending (D4, D3s, 1DMk4, 1Dx) are all FX cameras. Yes, the crop factor being lost is a consideration. So you add a 1.4x. You lose a stop adding it, but you gain MORE than a stop going from DX to FX. So that's a wash.

It makes NO sense to me to drop in the D600 as a D8000. THe D800 is FX, the D700 is FX, the new D600 is FX, and potentially the last camera to slot into the triple digit cameras would also seem like and FX fit.

It's fun to play the guessing game, but either way, it will be interesting to see what they really do. BUT assuming you are right, and they do stay with a DX sensor, what sensor are they going to use? The 24MP from the D3200?? I don't know how it would fly to have your new sports camera use the same sensor as your entry level DSLR. Do they use the 16MP sensor from the D7000/D7100? And share a sensor between the two top DX cameras? I could see it as a 16MP 8fps camera in a body that mirrors the D800.

We shall see I suppose.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Do you think the D400 will have the af-on button? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Tue 02-Oct-12 08:20 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do you think the D400 will have the af-on button?