Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10641 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Auto iso "

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 14-Sep-12 09:39 PM

I find Auto ISO is most useful when I have a desired shutter speed and aperture but the light level varies. An example of that is a football game where a player moves from full sun into a shadow. There is no time to adjust ISO but Auto ISO makes the adjustment. Aperture Priority would address the scene with a slower shutter speed - maybe too slow for a sharp image. Shutter Priority would adjust aperture - but if you were already wide open it would simply create a dark image. Manual exposure with Auto ISO would give you a correct exposure at the lowest possible ISO without changing your shutter speed or aperture.

Auto ISO is also useful with high ISO levels to drop the ISO if you have adequate light.

I don't use auto ISO if the light on the subject is constant with changing backgrounds. And I don't use ISO routinely - in most cases I have time to select the correct ISO and trade off as needed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A topic tagged as having a question Auto iso [View all] , RETIREDMSGT , Thu 13-Sep-12 05:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto iso
Reply message RE: Auto iso