Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JonK

New York, US
6419 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Auto iso "

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Fri 14-Sep-12 12:50 AM

It's actually pretty simple and quite useful.

• Exposure is a combination of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.
• In Aperture Priority, the ISO and aperture are set and the shutter speed varies.
• In Shutter Speed Priority, the ISO and shutter speed are set and the aperture varier.
• In Auto ISO, the aperture and shutter speed are set and the ISO varies.

Auto ISO is useful when you need to set both the aperture for depth of field control and shutter speed for motion control.

I have shot Auto ISO for these subjects:
• Early morning/late afternoon wildlife or birds. The light changing as time passes.
• Theatrical performances, again where the light varies from one part of the stage to another or from scene to scene.
• City walks, where are sometimes I am shooting in sun, sometimes in shade.

Implementing Auto ISO varies from body to body — Nikon has tweaked it through the years — but generally you have to turn it on and then set a minimum and a maximum ISO. Some bodies will also allow you to set a minimum shutter speed.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

A topic tagged as having a question Auto iso [View all] , RETIREDMSGT , Thu 13-Sep-12 05:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto iso
Reply message RE: Auto iso