Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Maximum Size Prints for Nikon 300

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10521 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Maximum Size Prints for Nikon 300"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 29-Aug-12 01:46 PM

I generally agree with Aart. A 12x18 image would be the standard image size without resizing. You could easily resample and resize the image to much larger size - 24x36 would be reasonable.

If you are resizing to more than a 50% increase in size, it generally helps to resize to an interim size and then resize again.

The challenge with resizing is that you can make any artifacts larger. Shooting at a low ISO helps reduce noise, but you need to watch your editing steps and use noise reduction. As with resizing, you would be better off applying multiple light sharpening steps with noise reduction along the way. It can also be helpful to apply selective editing.

I generally apply light noise reduction before resizing to a larger size then sharpen after resizing. If you are downsizing, you can usually skip the noise reduction step since artifacts are getting smaller.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Maximum Size Prints for Nikon 300 [View all] , wsmorgan3 Silver Member , Tue 28-Aug-12 11:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Maximum Size Prints for Nikon 300