Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300s Matrix Metering Issues

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300s Matrix Metering Issues"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 16-Aug-12 07:44 PM

If you are shooting in RAW and post processing with Lightroom or Camera RAW, all you are getting is an exposure adjustment - -0.7 stops in the case of ADL High.

I process in Nikon Capture NX2. I don't want the camera changing exposure - I can manage exposure manually with exposure comp. But I do use ADL Low 25% of the time so I retain the ability to change ADL in post processing. ADL Low makes no exposure adjustment.

If I used Lightroom, I might avoid ADL completely. There is some value in using ADL Low since it maintains an editing capability for the future and does not impact exposure.

It's worth noting that the image you see in the camera's LCD is a small embedded JPEG - so color, blinkies, etc reflects any camera settings. Rendering that image in Lightroom will be similar - but would not reflect any ADL settings, Picture Control, etc.

Try a test - it's really pretty easy and will quickly show you the impact. I tested to measure the difference in exposure and to see the extent to which I could create a similar effect in post. I've also subsequently seen documentation (sorry - can't find a link) that confirms the amount of exposure adjustment with ADL.

And for the record - ADL is a little different than D-Lighting and Shadow recovery. Most of the difference is in the exposure adjustment which is only in ADL, but the curves are different as well.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A topic tagged as in need of help D300s Matrix Metering Issues [View all] , phwayne3966 , Mon 13-Aug-12 02:00 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300s Matrix Metering Issues