Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300s Matrix Metering Issues

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300s Matrix Metering Issues"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 15-Aug-12 05:27 PM

If you are using Nikon software, or creating a JPEG or TIFF from the camera, ADL can be a good choice. I did some testing on high contrast subjects under controlled conditions. I found the curve it applied was very sophisticate and produced better results than I could with 15 minutes of editing.

If you are using other software, ADL Low has some advantages since it does not change exposure and does apply a gentle curve, but it also maintains the capability of using higher ADL settings in post.

ADL does involve additional processing. I've heard it may slightly slow down the frame rate. It also is reflected in the embedded JPEG that is used for the LCD and image previews. This can show you the potential for an image post processed with an alternate tool, but it also slightly changes the histogram and blinkies. In a similar manner, you can decrease contrast of the Picture Control setting to reduce bright areas.

Testing for ADL is pretty simple. Set up the camera on a high contrast and then take a set of images at each setting. You'll see the exposure adjustment and confirm whether or not it is working.

The dynamic range of the D300s is a little better than the D90. I've noticed that some cameras tend to have a brighter exposure because they can hold the detail in the highlights.

Nice images at the US Pro - cycling photography is a blast!

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A topic tagged as in need of help D300s Matrix Metering Issues [View all] , phwayne3966 , Mon 13-Aug-12 02:00 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300s Matrix Metering Issues