Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300s Matrix Metering Issues

ArthurNikonF

Worcester, US
405 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300s Matrix Metering Issues"

ArthurNikonF Registered since 10th Oct 2011
Wed 15-Aug-12 03:57 PM

More thoughts-ADL is a compromise, at best. Digital cameras have less dynamic range than film. Since the advent of photoshop, opening up the shadows has been something some photographers have wanted to do. I fell into the same trap. Now that I shoot mostly film, I do this less and less with my D300. As stated earlier, it does produce a somewhat noiser image.

I have had wonderful results for portraiture with the D300 using center weighted metering. I love the folks at Nikon, but their description of how matrix metering functions is, as of this day, ambiguous at best. They still haven't revealed, for example, the 1000-plus images for reference that are sampled by the circuit. While it does work fairly well, it can be folled, is certainly not fool-proof, and is not the "end-all" as far as meter modes are concerned.

-Arthur

Please read my blog (Nikon, Hasselblad, AND Polaroid), at www.arthurpolaroid.wordpress.com/ Nikon D300, D40, F Photomic Ftn, FE-2, F3HP, N80, F2S

A topic tagged as in need of help D300s Matrix Metering Issues [View all] , phwayne3966 , Mon 13-Aug-12 02:00 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300s Matrix Metering Issues