Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

WHAT AM I MISSING ? GUIDE # FOR D200 FLASH

largebore

Clarks Summit, US
678 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: WHAT AM I MISSING ? GUIDE # FOR D200 FLASH"

largebore Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2011
Sat 11-Aug-12 04:41 PM

>Yeah, I think Rick is correct about that. Did we ever answer
>the OP's original question?

Actually yes..
My intitial misunderstanding was the way Nikon expressed the guide number rating of the pop up flash.

When they stated that there was a guide number and then listed feet and meters I was thinking that the numbers they were noting were the feet /meters that the guide number was calculated but somehow they failed to list the guide number. I was not aware that they were indeed listing the guide numbers expressed for both feet and meters. So it was essentially my misunderstanding of Nikons terminology.

However, another question comes up from the posts.

I have read that a guide number of 160 is twice the power of one that is 80. However I do not undertand how this can be true.

At 10 feet:
Guide # of 80 = f8
Guide # of 160 - f16
With two stops of difference in the exposure is not a flash with a quide number of 160, 4 times as powerful as a flash with a guide number of 80 ?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic WHAT AM I MISSING ? GUIDE # FOR D200 FLASH [View all] , largebore Silver Member , Fri 10-Aug-12 12:53 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: WHAT AM I MISSING ? GUIDE # FOR D200 FLASH
Reply message ALL CLEAR