Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

WHAT AM I MISSING ? GUIDE # FOR D200 FLASH

RABaker

Sunnyvale, US
731 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: WHAT AM I MISSING ? GUIDE # FOR D200 FLASH"

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003
Fri 10-Aug-12 07:53 PM

I'm sorry to disagree with some others here, but flash guide numbers do not have units - it is a just a number. This point was drummed into us in my first formal photography class. The guide number uses distance to determine an aperture as a starting point for exposure. Because the guide number uses distance to compute aperture, it is necessary to have a different guide number for a different unit of measurement. Most of the time a flash will list two guide numbers - one for distance measured in meters and one for distance measured in feet. Unfortunately, many manuals/instructions list the numbers something like "12 meters/30 feet" and so it has become a common misunderstanding that the guide number itself is expressed in units.

So... When the manual shows "Guide Number 12/39 flash (ISO 100, m/ft)" they are saying:
1. If you measure the distance in meters the guide number is 12; or
2. If you measure the distance in feet the guide number is 39.

I hope this helps.

Richard

A general, generic topic WHAT AM I MISSING ? GUIDE # FOR D200 FLASH [View all] , largebore Silver Member , Fri 10-Aug-12 12:53 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: WHAT AM I MISSING ? GUIDE # FOR D200 FLASH
Reply message ALL CLEAR