Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just bought a D300S

grizzly200

Solano County, California, US
707 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Just bought a D300S"

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011
Sat 04-Aug-12 03:23 AM | edited Sat 04-Aug-12 03:47 AM by grizzly200

Anne,
Congratulations on the 300s!

Before I got my D300, I read Ken Rockwell's guide and the Nikonians D300 guide many times over, although I shoot in RAW, so there I disagree with Rockwell. His overview of the menus is pretty good if you take his recommendations with a grain of salt. The camera's instruction manual is good, too, if you have one. There are also many good YouTube videos on various parts of the menus.

After I got the camera, my wife got me the Magic Lantern Publishing guide to the D300, which is good, too. I use it as a reference--when I come upon an unfamiliar setting situation, I go there.

Due to the sheer number of options you have with this camera, I found it valuable to read through the menus sections of these guides and familiarize myself with the menus.

I have now had my camera eight months, and I feel like I have a good understanding of the functions I use.

One important setting is ISO. You have the option of setting a locked-in ISO or going variable. If you decide to let the ISO vary, you can set a low and high limit for the camera. I set mine on variable--low limit 200, high limit HI-1, which is 6400. Others here will disagree with me on the high limit, but a little noise in low light doesn't bother me. (I used to love the grain in fast B&W film in the old days, too!)

Many of us here will be happy to answer your questions as they come up!

James

This is a hot, active topic! Just bought a D300S [View all] , MsTakin , Sat 04-Aug-12 12:48 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Just bought a D300S