Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using live view with long telephoto lenses

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10636 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Using live view with long telephoto lenses"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 03-Jul-12 10:48 AM

Graham

You are correct - these long lenses can be very hard to remove vibration. Some are more of a problem than others. I have a Tamron 200-500 that is an extremely long lens. Without a hand across the barrel, even a cable release does not produce sharp images unless there is a long delay. By comparison, I have a Nikon 300 f/4 that seems remarkably stable. The length and weight of the lens, the tripod head, the tripod legs, and technique all add up as sources of error.

I find that a hand over the lens barrel is usually better than a beanbag. I also use a hand under the lens barrel at times.

Live View is great for focus, but there is still mirror slap at the shutter release. If you have the opportunity, focus using live view then use Mirror Up or Delay to control the shutter release and mirror.

Distant subjects magnify any motion issues. Heat can cause the air to shimmer and create thermal effects that reduce sharpness. Try testing on subjects within 100-150 feet.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Using live view with long telephoto lenses [View all] , Nikon32250 Silver Member , Sat 30-Jun-12 03:56 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using live view with long telephoto lenses