Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 Format function not working.

AudsDad

Naperville, US
307 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D300 Format function not working."

AudsDad Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2007
Wed 27-Jun-12 09:04 PM

Hi.

I've had my D300 since Nov 2007 (release month) and have formatted and re-formatted hundreds of times with several different SanDisk Extreme 4GB CF cards with nary a problem - until today - and I leave for a trip to Paris in 3 days!

I routinely delete all images after securely uploading files to my computer by simultaneously pressing the mode + delete buttons twice until the full complement of images on the card appears in the LCD (369 for a 4GB card). That works OK. But for the first time , my attempt to re-format in the tools area in the menu does not work. I move the cursor to 'YES' (since the screen by default opens with 'NO' selected) and when I select yes as I always have, there is no response on-screen and the images are not deleted. As far as I can see, other functions in the menu bank are unaffected, though I haven't tried them all yet.

For my trip, I just received 2 SanDisk Extreme 8GB cards from B&H to accompany a few 4GB ones which I have used many times each. I noticed the problem in the menu tools when I tried to Format the new cards since my understanding is that new cards should be formatted before first use.

I am very concerned that there may be an electrical problem lurking within my D300 which would ruin my vacation entirely.

Does pressing the Delete + Mode buttons twice each for a few seconds actually re-format exactly the same as doing so in the Menu? Or is the 2 button process simply deleting the files but not fully re-formatting the card? I always do it both ways when I want to empty and freshen a card just to be sure. I am concerned about the unused 8GB cards.

Thanks for input on this,

Peter

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Please visit MySmugmug gallery

A general, generic topic D300 Format function not working. [View all] , AudsDad Silver Member , Wed 27-Jun-12 07:04 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 Format function not working.