Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bought a new "used" D300

grizzly200

Solano County, California, US
707 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Bought a new "used" D300"

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011
Tue 12-Jun-12 01:39 PM | edited Tue 12-Jun-12 02:01 PM by grizzly200

Nitin,
Good move! You will love the D300, and I don't think it will take long for you to do very well with it.
I use variable ISO, lower limit 200, upper limit 3200, and shoot in 14-bit RAW. Sometimes aperture-preferred auto, sometimes manual. Matrix metering for most situations, spot for high-contrast situations in which you want to choose to expose for a middle to high middle tone.

I would suggest reading about the Zone System. This will increase and refine your understanding of exposure and its nuances.

Keep your shutter speeds as fast as possible--this is why I suggest using variable ISO, and not sticking with a fixed low ISO like 200. If you shoot at ISO indoors without flash, the you will be using very slow shutter speeds which are difficult to hand hold.

The D300 allows you to set a minimum shutter speed--I would suggest 1/15 of a second. You need to make sure to hold the camera very steady, and SQUEEZE the shutter release--not jab at it.

James

A general, generic topic Bought a new "used" D300 [View all] , ntomer , Mon 11-Jun-12 04:06 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Bought a new "used" D300