Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

End of DX as we now know it?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
Jim Pearce

Grimsby, CA
4397 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"I thought you could always back up Neil..."

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004
Sat 09-Jun-12 02:54 PM | edited Sat 09-Jun-12 07:16 PM by Jim Pearce

(I apologize to readers for referring to an earlier iteration of this argument.) I guess you didn't back up fast enough this time! As it happens, I agree that the D800 can be a useful camera for small birds, given a sufficiently powerful lens, which is why I mentioned the 800 f5.6.

I also agree that it would be useful to have sufficient pixel density to frame a little looser on any camera. Let's see if we agree on this. My theory as to why we cram the bird into the viewfinder on a D300 is that we are implicitly relying on downsizing the image to raise the SNR for posting (about one stop, 3 decibels, for a 50% reduction if I recall correctly). Change the D300's sensor to the 3200's sensor we can back off to a 1.2x crop and open up about 1/3 of a stop with equivalent DOF. This is precisely analogous to the way I think most good bird photographers will adapt to the D800, although they'll have the 1.2 x crop lines in the viewfinder.

As I've argued elsewhere, everything else is pretty much a push (unless you're printing very large) - even diffraction as long as I shoot one stop more open with the DX camera for equivalent DOF. So what it comes down to is whether I want to make optical compromises to get 50% more focal length on a D800 (Put the TC-17E or TC-20EIII on the 500 instead of the TC-14E?) or buy a longer lens and upgrade my tripod, routinely use my Wimberley instead of the Arca Swiss, etc..

Of course, at a certain point in pixel density we'll be asking for the lens to resolve at too high a spatial frequency on the DX camera and suffer a loss of contrast. That is where the physics kicks in. But we're not there yet.

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot topic  It has been locked by a team member End of DX as we now know it? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Sat 26-May-12 05:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it?
Reply message Who knows?
Reply message RE: Who knows?
     Reply message RE: Who knows?
          Reply message Hmm...
               Reply message RE: Hmm...
          Reply message Yes Neil...
          Reply message RE: Yes Neil...
                                             Reply message Ya think Neil?
                                             Reply message Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message I thought you could always back up Neil...
                                             Reply message I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message RE: I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message I find it strange Neil...
                                             Reply message Because...
                                             Reply message And another reason...
                                             Reply message And another... from 2 days before
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it? - Thread locked