Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

End of DX as we now know it?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
PRW

Plymouth, UK
228 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: End of DX as we now know it?"

PRW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Apr 2002
Sat 09-Jun-12 09:15 AM | edited Sat 09-Jun-12 09:21 AM by PRW

Hi Neil

I have been reading this with great interest.

>>If LGP doesn't rule, then why do people spend extra for a 600/4 - and haul the extra 4-5 pounds around - if they can do the same with a 500/4 and just get closer? What makes a 600/4 better? It's the 6" of glass on the front, verse the 5" of the 500.

I always thought it was purely to do with reach. You can shoot from further away with the 600mm. I understand your thoughts on the light gathering power of the front element, but at the same f-stop the amount of light leaving the rear of the lens is the same for any lens, surely? My understanding has always been, a long telephoto needs such a large front element because, due to the long focal length, the front element needs to be the size it is, in order to gather the number of photons necessary to be f4. Therefore the 600/f4 needs a 6" front element in order to gather the SAME amount of light as the 500/f4 5" front element.

>>If you pop a TC on a lens you will NOT reduce noise because you did not increase your light gathering power.

Can you clarify something for me? I may have misunderstood. Are you saying that if I shot a 600/f4 at f5.6, and a 300/f2.8 with a 2x teleconverter wide open (f5.6), with the same shutter speed, ISO and camera body, the shot using the 600mm would be contain less noise? Forget the IQ hit from using the teleconverter. It has always been my understanding that the amount of light, the number of photons reaching the sensor, would be identical and therefore the noise levels the same.

I have always thought the only reason to carry a 600/f4 instead of say 600/f5.6, was the advantage of being able to select a higher shutter speed when shot wide open, better subject isolation, the more accurate focusing and brighter viewfinder image. Assuming both lenses were shot at f8, then I always thought there would be no difference in the images. Are you saying there would be?

>> For that matter, if only focal ratio mattered, then a 300/2.8 would be even better. It's a stop faster, cheaper and lighter. You're a 3 time winner. Why are we not birding with 300/2.8's?

Purely, because we would have to get a lot closer to the bird. If you can get close, it's all you need. Where am I going wrong in my thinking?

Cheers

Kind regards,
Paul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.paulwheelerphotography.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/paul_wheeler/

This is a hot topic  It has been locked by a team member End of DX as we now know it? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Sat 26-May-12 05:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it?
Reply message Who knows?
Reply message RE: Who knows?
     Reply message RE: Who knows?
          Reply message Hmm...
               Reply message RE: Hmm...
          Reply message Yes Neil...
          Reply message RE: Yes Neil...
                                             Reply message Ya think Neil?
                                             Reply message Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message I thought you could always back up Neil...
                                             Reply message I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message RE: I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message I find it strange Neil...
                                             Reply message Because...
                                             Reply message And another reason...
                                             Reply message And another... from 2 days before
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it? - Thread locked