Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

End of DX as we now know it?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: This is one reason you are wrong, Jim..."

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sat 09-Jun-12 07:35 AM

Again, I think you make a a number of assumptions here...

>Absolutely it would be improved. His head wouldn't be nearly
>chopped off. He wasn't supposed to suddenly stand up, but he
>did. Is it that hard to visualize? Do I have to cut and
>paste this thing in Photoshop to make the point?

I have absolutely NO IDEA what makes a great bird image. In fact, the shots you've posted here all look calendar worthy to my untrained eye. For this image in particular, I had no idea anything was wrong until you just pointed out that the bird's head was too close to the frame. Based on what my clients want for the images I shoot, this image would not be cropped enough.

>There is more to life than filling a frame, edge to edge, with
>a bird. That's just a documentary image.

Yes. And I shoot editorially, and that is what is expected of me. That is what pays the bills in my line of work. In fact, it is desired in many cases in both sports and fashion photography to not only fill the frame, but to have the subject bleed off 3-4 edges of the frame.

>A great bird image
>- a fine art image - has great habitat too. It is a rare
>image but it is the wall hanger image, and the most saleable
>image. When that rare thing happens, I would like to have FX.
> And I don't want to have to have the aim of a military
>marksman to get it.

I understand that. Our needs in imagery are 180 degrees apart. And perhaps that is why you are having such a difficult time understanding what I am after.

> It's not rocket science.

Perhaps not. But a fundamental understanding of what the end product needs to be is paramount to understanding the nature of the problem.

>My offer stands. I'll trade my D300 for any D800. Not a D3s.
> Love to own the camera but not for this.

I have no need for a D300. However, I will likely be trading my D3s for a D400 should it materialize. My D800 won't be going anywhere for a good while yet.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot topic  It has been locked by a team member End of DX as we now know it? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Sat 26-May-12 05:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it?
Reply message Who knows?
Reply message RE: Who knows?
     Reply message RE: Who knows?
          Reply message Hmm...
               Reply message RE: Hmm...
          Reply message Yes Neil...
          Reply message RE: Yes Neil...
                                             Reply message Ya think Neil?
                                             Reply message Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message I thought you could always back up Neil...
                                             Reply message I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message RE: I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message I find it strange Neil...
                                             Reply message Because...
                                             Reply message And another reason...
                                             Reply message And another... from 2 days before
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it? - Thread locked