Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

End of DX as we now know it?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: End of DX as we now know it?"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Tue 05-Jun-12 05:38 PM

>Hi Perrone,
>I'll tell you what... when I see a long row of Pro sports
>shooters at a Superbowl or the Olympics, all shooting insanely
>high density DX cameras and 70-200's instead of the 400/2.8's,
>I'll believe everything you just said .

Pay attention to this year's London Olympics. The word I got from Ronal Tanawacki, Michael Corrado (both NPS reps who service SI, USA Today, ESPN, etc.) both told me that they are furiously filling orders for 200-400s and no more 400/2.8s and 600/F4s. Robert Hanashiro of USA Today who was scheduled to cover the Olympics told me the same as he was explaining why the ThinkTank Shape Shifter is now his primary bag, as did John McDonough of Sports Illustrated (who has shot over 10 superbowls and will be in London).

>I understand people dream on about always getting smaller and
>lighter. I'm not convinced DX will really downsize lenses
>significantly on a sports field because of the noise inherent
>in deep cropping, among maybe some other reasons.

The issue is that with DX, you need to crop much less. That's essentially the point. Put it this way, if you need a 300mm to fill the frame on an FX camera, with a DX camera you can now fill the frame with a 70-200, with the same aperture, and with the flexibility of the zoom. You save travel costs if you are flying, you save wear and tear on your back, etc.

>I could easily be wrong, which is why I said I will believe
>all this when I see all the 70-200's lined up at the next
>Superbowl . (meaning the theory of endlessly scaling up
>resolution really works in the real world and no one will know
>for sure until that mythical camera is in place).

The problem for the Superbowl guys and soccer guys, is that you are covering the game from BEHIND the end zone. And to reach out to the other end of the field, you really need to be on a 500-600. So the 300s and 400s are going to remain for the time being. I do predict we will see a change by some this fall though at the weekly games.

>I can also understand why DX might work for secondary cameras
>- I was thinking about the main workhorse camera, which I
>assume now is usually a D3/D4 or some otrher brand
>equivilent.

The D4 is going to be popular not just because it's a pro workhorse, but because of it's connectivity. It's Cat5 connection and it's wireless ability are now required for the wire guys, and the big boys who need to get images online in minutes, and not hours. For fixed shooting positions like at UEFA, World Cup, and Olympic soccer, there are Cat5 connections at the shooting positions. That is tied up to the press booth, and the images can be reviewed in real time and posted to the internet. We started seeing this just a couple of years ago. In London it will be prevalent at the large venues. Neither Nikon nor Canon is doing this with the smaller bodies. There isn't the room physically. By the time we see the D5, this will all be wireless.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot topic  It has been locked by a team member End of DX as we now know it? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Sat 26-May-12 05:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it?
Reply message Who knows?
Reply message RE: Who knows?
     Reply message RE: Who knows?
          Reply message Hmm...
               Reply message RE: Hmm...
          Reply message Yes Neil...
          Reply message RE: Yes Neil...
                                             Reply message Ya think Neil?
                                             Reply message Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message I thought you could always back up Neil...
                                             Reply message I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message RE: I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message I find it strange Neil...
                                             Reply message Because...
                                             Reply message And another reason...
                                             Reply message And another... from 2 days before
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it? - Thread locked