Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

End of DX as we now know it?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: End of DX as we now know it?"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Mon 04-Jun-12 09:22 PM

>Hi Perrone,
>
>My point was simply that a 192 mpx/second bandwidth camera
>does not exist today in a Nikon camera. What they might be
>able to do I don't think we are privy to so at least from my
>point of view I assume "they can't or won't" until
>they do. It is a big incremental step up.

Speaking of big steps...

>Even if they could do it in a D5 today, that does not mean
>they would do it in a sub-$2000 D300 replacement camera. And
>the fact that the replacement would likely not have an
>integrated grip means that there is less internal real estate
>to stuff the needed parts in. That could be a factor- we
>can;t divine that but can only accept the possibility.

Well, the D800 was a pretty darn big step up, AND it was done against an $8k flagship. And it doesn't have an integrated grip. Six months ago, the idea of a 36MP camera in the D700/D300 sized body was ludicrous. Today, it's a welcome reality.

>I know there is a 12 fps/24mpx camera out there but it is not
>a Nikon camera and is a bit different. I know you believe the
>D4 has "only" 16 mpx because the sports market
>doesn't want it but I'm not convinced. There is no other
>market segment that has said "I don't want as many pixels
>as you can give me". We just have to disagree on that.

You didn't hear that from me. I'm the guy waiting on the D400 with 24MP, and I'm the guy shooting sports on the D800.

>A lot of people here yawned over the D4's 16mpx.

Yep, I was one of them. I said I'd buy it at anything 20 or over. Didn't happen, I cancelled my order, D800 was announced shortly thereafter, and I put my money down.

>If it had
>been 20 or 24 there would be far more upgrading going on. As
>it is a lot of people will stick with their D3's since there
>is no huge increase in low noise performance and the
>resolution is not game changing.

Exactly where I am. My pair of D3s are very comfy right now. Unless that 24MP D400 gets announced.

>>> I don't disagree that we cannot keep increasing
>resolution in large jumps, but I think it will continue, and I
>don't think it's a matter of "not thinking it
>through".
>
>Actually I'm suggesting they *can* increase resolution in
>substantial jumps. But that does not mean bandwidth can
>necessarily keep up. The day may come when buyers have to
>trade quantity (fps) for quality (resolution). I don't think
>the market is quite ready to do that yet but some day it will
>simply have to (in my opinion).

The success of the D800 seems to fly in the face of your argument.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot topic  It has been locked by a team member End of DX as we now know it? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Sat 26-May-12 05:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it?
Reply message Who knows?
Reply message RE: Who knows?
     Reply message RE: Who knows?
          Reply message Hmm...
               Reply message RE: Hmm...
          Reply message Yes Neil...
          Reply message RE: Yes Neil...
                                             Reply message Ya think Neil?
                                             Reply message Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: Here's what I think, Jim...
                                             Reply message This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message RE: This is one reason you are wrong, Jim...
                                             Reply message I thought you could always back up Neil...
                                             Reply message I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message RE: I believe I suggested...
                                             Reply message I find it strange Neil...
                                             Reply message Because...
                                             Reply message And another reason...
                                             Reply message And another... from 2 days before
Reply message RE: End of DX as we now know it? - Thread locked