Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can I adjust sharpness in my D300?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10544 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Can I adjust sharpness in my D300?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 23-May-12 07:57 PM

Yes - you can adjust the Sharpness of your picture control settings. The Picture Control settings are described beginning on page 147 of the D300 manual The adjustments are specifically described on page 150.

Simply select the picture control that you want to modify, and then adjust the Sharpness slider to taste.

Be careful about overdoing sharpening. It also creates noise when pushed too far. The in camera setting is pretty heavy on the Radius and somewhat low on Intensity. I find this works well when used lightly, but not so well at higher levels.

If you are doing a full edit in Capture, you probably want to set in camera sharpening lighter or remove it in an early editing step.
You might also check your setting for Contrast. Many times a little more contrast is what is required.

Also check you camera's setting for noise reduction. NR should normally be lon Off or Low. NR works by softening the image. It's more effective to apply NR selectively in post process. The Capture NX2 Noise Reduction function is pretty easy.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Can I adjust sharpness in my D300? [View all] , D2Xstatic Silver Member , Wed 23-May-12 05:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Can I adjust sharpness in my D300?