Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
RABaker

Sunnyvale, US
731 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Time to upgrade?"

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003
Sat 12-May-12 03:11 AM

I have had the D200 since the day it was released in the US and it works as well today as it did then, but I agree it is now a bit long in the tooth. In addition to my 18-200 (which I love for its convenience) I also have some fast glass: 35mm f/2.8; 50mm f/1.4; 17-55 f/2.8; 70-200 f/2.8. However, like you, I still want better high-ISO performance and I also want more dynamic range.

If you don't want to wait to see if a D400 is offered later this year (??) then I would recommend the D7000 - with the caveat that you should hold one first to be sure you like the way it feels and operates. I have heard several reports that some who are used to the build and feel of the D200/D300 did not care for the D7000 (never had the chance to try one myself). If you don't like the feel of the D7000 then I believe the next best option is a new D300s, or used D300/D300s.

Personally I'm waiting to see if there is a D400. If it is not forthcoming by later this year I will probably get a used D300. Although there are several improvements in the D300/s, I just don't believe there are quite enough advantages for me and my "style" to make the new-camera price acceptable. But a good used camera price......

Good luck,
Richard Baker

This is a hot, active topic! Time to upgrade? [View all] , OpieCunningham , Mon 30-Apr-12 12:31 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Time to upgrade?