Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400...

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400?"

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Mon 21-May-12 10:20 PM

I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread. The hype surrounding the new FX kid on the block was starting to dominate the forums. Mostly though because it is a major step in the dSLR world having an FX camera capable of producing around about D7000 sensor size images in DX mode. That got me thinking if this is the start of a new world in digital photography. Until Nikon satisfy those of us needing the x1.5 extra reach without having to stump up a big price for a D800 to achieve it, where does the future lie.

The upshot is surely that us DX sensor users want to either retain DX lenses without resorting to a smaller viewfinder segment afforded by FX in DX mode, or use their FX lenses with a DX small sensor to afford extra reach. I fall into this latter category.

On the basis that a D400 would hopefully satisfy this with the latest Expeed processor, between 16-24mp and basically D300s functionality and build quality, I want one now.

All this talk of a D800 lite in the form of a D600 is to me just a ploy to satisfy folks who cannot afford a D800 and even less likely a D4. OK, that could work, but without a motor, I think not. Perhaps that means Nikon can abandon the D700, then optimise its FX range to D600/800/D4!

My guess is that those of us waiting for a D400 are going to wait a while and perhaps in the end we end up with a D7001. That may be acceptable and keep DX alive and kicking.

Just some random thoughts. Anyway, I'm off cruising the Med for two weeks starting tomorrow. I'll play catchup on my return. Perhaps the D400 will be announced while I'm away.....I wish! Have fun.

Cheers

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

This is a hot, active topic! An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400... [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member , Thu 26-Apr-12 07:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message I got two messages from near the top at Nikon a week ag...
Reply message RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the ...
     Reply message Next time I need ISO 1600 on my D300...
Reply message Yes the D800 has an "inner D7000" except for the viewfi...
     Reply message Hmm...
          Reply message RE: Hmm...
                                             Reply message We've seen (and heard) this before Neil...
Reply message There are two types of too close Neil.
     Reply message RE: There are two types of too close Neil.
                    Reply message I really don't see the relevance of this discussion Nei...
                         Reply message RE: I really don't see the relevance of this discussion...
                         Reply message Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                              Reply message RE: Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                                   Reply message I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                              Reply message I was too polite to comment there Richard...
                              Reply message I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                   Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: D400
          Reply message That is just plain misleading Neil...
               Reply message No Jim, I was NOT misleading...
                    Reply message I'm not speaking for Jim or Jay...
                    Reply message If you want the best high ISO performance possible...
                         Reply message Now that's the truth Neil...
                              Reply message RE: Now that's the truth Neil...
                                   Reply message Well, I think we've beaten this one to death Neil...
                    Reply message RE: No Jim, I was NOT misleading...