Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400...

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: There are two types of too close Neil."

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Tue 15-May-12 12:09 PM | edited Tue 15-May-12 01:56 PM by nrothschild

If you are shooting Warblers in high treetops, from a slope, where you have concerns over MFD, and you are reasonably level, then your apple orchard must be on the side of El Capitan? IOW the geometry does not make sense unless you switched gears and these are two different circumstances.

Seems to me that MFD is not the most important criteria for close passerine work. The important criteria is the magnification ratio. The exception would be working in close quarters where it is impossible to back up.

The 300/2.8 VR2 has a magnification ratio of 1:6.4. The 500/4 VR has a magnification ratio of 1:6.9 (*), which is virtually identical and far more flexible since Warblers at 15 feet can't be the norm. If it is, I would suggest counting your blessings and backing up a few feet .

The 600/4 VR has a magnification ratio of 1/7.4 so it would not be as good as the 500/4 VR2 in this regard. All those modern lenses are, of course, better than our old 500/4 AFS which is 1/9. But the point being that if close focus is your biggest problem you'd be better off looking at a 500/4 VR2 than trying to concoct a scheme using a 300/2.8 and a 24 mpx sensor.

You may not care about diffraction now (on 12mpx DX) because you can't see it wider than f/8 - f/11. If you were to rely on 24 mpx to make up for the loss of "magnification" at normal woprking distances with a 300, then I think you would care because that sensor will start softening at f/5.6 or so.

In theory, a magnification of 1/9 on DX (what we have now) results in a frame 212mm (8.36") wide. With a TC14 that should be reduced to about 151mm/5.94" wide, which is just slightly larger than the 5.5" or so size of a typical Warbler, In practice I have shot Warblers within 10% of my MFD at 700mm and not quite filled the frame as much as those calculations suggest. But it was certainly plenty big enough.

A 500/4 VR @700mm should result in a cropped Warbler (shot at a side profile) at MFD since the FOV is only 116mm/4.5" wide. If you can get it to stick it's head up and tail down then it might all fit diagonally .

When I am very close to promising habitat I typically test AF on the closest twig or bush I think the warbler may perch. If I can't AF I back up until I can. If the habitat is such that that distance to too long for any other likely perch I just write off that close twig . This is just to say that I don't understand your concern/obsession over the MFD.

* - Roland Vink's specs suggest the 500/4 VR has a magnification ratio of 1:6.9 where Nikon's spec is 0.14x or 1/7.1. Regardless, either spec is quite close enough to the 300/2.8 VR2 since we are not exactly shooting dead insects on a focusing rail .

my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400... [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member , Thu 26-Apr-12 07:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message I got two messages from near the top at Nikon a week ag...
Reply message RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the ...
     Reply message Next time I need ISO 1600 on my D300...
Reply message Yes the D800 has an "inner D7000" except for the viewfi...
     Reply message Hmm...
          Reply message RE: Hmm...
                                             Reply message We've seen (and heard) this before Neil...
Reply message There are two types of too close Neil.
     Reply message RE: There are two types of too close Neil.
                    Reply message I really don't see the relevance of this discussion Nei...
                         Reply message RE: I really don't see the relevance of this discussion...
                         Reply message Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                              Reply message RE: Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                                   Reply message I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                              Reply message I was too polite to comment there Richard...
                              Reply message I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                   Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: D400
          Reply message That is just plain misleading Neil...
               Reply message No Jim, I was NOT misleading...
                    Reply message I'm not speaking for Jim or Jay...
                    Reply message If you want the best high ISO performance possible...
                         Reply message Now that's the truth Neil...
                              Reply message RE: Now that's the truth Neil...
                                   Reply message Well, I think we've beaten this one to death Neil...
                    Reply message RE: No Jim, I was NOT misleading...