Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400...

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400?"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Wed 09-May-12 02:28 PM | edited Wed 09-May-12 02:40 PM by nrothschild

Hi Ted,

I agree with you that the technology of the smaller formats is increasingly improving, but I disagree with your implied assessment of the psychology of the high end DX market. New DX is as good as old FX because the underlying sensor technology, that is applied to sensors of all sizes, has gotten much better the past few years. But FX has gotten commensurately better too. We look to the present when comparing cameras, not new verses old.

I don't consider FX and DX to be different "formats" in the sense that there is a price or size/weight/bulk issue (*). In particular when applied to a D300 successor. There is a very obvious difference in price and size when comparing DX/FX to medium format or P&S, but the size and weight savings of DX over FX are rather subtle.

The differences are obviously quite subtle comparing a D300 to D700. In a much smaller camera, like the D3200 lineage, the differences may be greater but for most people it is probably not a "game changer" because a D3200 is not something you could put in a shirt pocket either, like you can with a small mirror-less camera.

(*) - There is still, at this instant in time, a fairly significant price difference between DX and FX but that has largely evaporated and will continue to evaporate quickly. I think we have to assume that price difference will narrow to near zero within the next 2 years if not next month with the next FX body.

On the other hand, the reason to want high end (D400) DX is the best possible performance in all areas, performance and features sets, better than can be had with lesser DX cameras. Since FX will always be about a stop better in performance, no matter how good the sensors get, the DX buyer will always want "more" no matter how good his present camera performs. That is the psychology part. No matter how good the latest DX (or P&S sized) camera, FX will always be better and the high end (D400) DX market is comprised of people that generally want the best.

The result of all this is that the future high DX market would be composed of people that want something better than standard DX bodies deliver, but for whatever reason they don't want the absolute best they could attain at the same price level, and same general body format size and weight.

I see that as a severely declining niche market that won't forever justify the cost of "redundant" cameras in the current D300 price range.

Here is something to consider... the D7000, in terms of image quality, is as good as DX gets (or got, about a year ago). In terms of features, it is just short of the D300. As I understand opinions, as expressed here, the main complaint of the D7000 as a replacement for the D300 is the smaller body size. It doesn't "fit the hand" like a D300 does, and it really doesn't balance well on very long exotic glass, and maybe even with something like a 70-200 or 300/4 it doesn't balance as we D300 users have become accustomed to.

We D300 users like relatively big and bulky cameras. We generally do not consider that a liability and that is what makes the D300 market.

Now considering that, the argument that FX is a different "format", in the sense of being more like a "studio camera", doesn't hold water. A DX user that wants a "smaller format" will be very happy with a D7000 and doesn't really need a D400 unless the frame rate and smaller buffer is the deal breaker.

If no D400 ever appears, it is very possible that the D7000 successor, in the same body size/weight format as the D7000, will fill that frame rate/buffer void. It could evolve into a "DX Pro Camera" in the smallest possible format because those that are happy with the bulkier D300 format will mostly want the incremental benefits of "free" FX.

my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400... [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member , Thu 26-Apr-12 07:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message I got two messages from near the top at Nikon a week ag...
Reply message RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the ...
     Reply message Next time I need ISO 1600 on my D300...
Reply message Yes the D800 has an "inner D7000" except for the viewfi...
     Reply message Hmm...
          Reply message RE: Hmm...
                                             Reply message We've seen (and heard) this before Neil...
Reply message There are two types of too close Neil.
     Reply message RE: There are two types of too close Neil.
                    Reply message I really don't see the relevance of this discussion Nei...
                         Reply message RE: I really don't see the relevance of this discussion...
                         Reply message Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                              Reply message RE: Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                                   Reply message I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                              Reply message I was too polite to comment there Richard...
                              Reply message I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                   Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: D400
          Reply message That is just plain misleading Neil...
               Reply message No Jim, I was NOT misleading...
                    Reply message I'm not speaking for Jim or Jay...
                    Reply message If you want the best high ISO performance possible...
                         Reply message Now that's the truth Neil...
                              Reply message RE: Now that's the truth Neil...
                                   Reply message Well, I think we've beaten this one to death Neil...
                    Reply message RE: No Jim, I was NOT misleading...