Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400...

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400?"

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 06-May-12 04:28 PM | edited Sun 06-May-12 04:28 PM by richardd300

Nothing I'm about to say is technical, but bear with me. The D300 was a terrific camera and I always regret selling it, but finances would not at the time allow me to keep the D300 and sold it to help fund D700. From the moment I started shooting FX I thought it the start of a special journey photography wise. The camera felt good, the controls mimic the D300 and even my existing grip and spare batteries fitted. Actually that's an important point, as it saved me quite a few hundred pounds. Importantly, the resultant images were different somehow, sharper, improved dynamic range and lower ISO high noise, of course I now know that as I had pro lenses they worked so much efficiently on FX. I could list the D700 superlatives on an A4 sheet and still wouldn't fill it. I still get a buzz everytime I pick it up.

In short the camera was a massive step up in both IQ and low light efficiency. 18 months ago I bought the D7000 and absolutely none of the feelings I've had with the D700 were there, not a dot. Not helped by my first camera being faulty, I struggled to understand why everyone was raving about it. I have conquered it, but in my view and forget all the charts I still should have gone for a D300s. Rose tinted glasses perhaps! I never worked so hard to get a camera to do what I wanted it to.

The only reason I want a DX camera is because my genres are split between wildlife and landscape, I no longer have any interest in portrait or weddings etc. The D700 is for my landscapes, the D7000 for my wildlife, obviously because of the extra reach. I just feel that if in depth work was put into building a eg a D400 or whatever to advantage the photographer who does crop more than most other genres, does need more fps, but does need a capable high ISO reduction system my photography needs would be satisfied.

I started this thread as a muse into a possible future direction of DX v FX etc. There has been some terrific comments and hard thought rationals via the threads. I am enjoying the responces.

Roll on a camera which once again like the D300 and the D700 I unbox, fit a lens, it works and it fills me with the feelings the D700 did 3 years ago. Pure magic

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

This is a hot, active topic! An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400... [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member , Thu 26-Apr-12 07:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message I got two messages from near the top at Nikon a week ag...
Reply message RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the ...
     Reply message Next time I need ISO 1600 on my D300...
Reply message Yes the D800 has an "inner D7000" except for the viewfi...
     Reply message Hmm...
          Reply message RE: Hmm...
                                             Reply message We've seen (and heard) this before Neil...
Reply message There are two types of too close Neil.
     Reply message RE: There are two types of too close Neil.
                    Reply message I really don't see the relevance of this discussion Nei...
                         Reply message RE: I really don't see the relevance of this discussion...
                         Reply message Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                              Reply message RE: Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                                   Reply message I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                              Reply message I was too polite to comment there Richard...
                              Reply message I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                   Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: D400
          Reply message That is just plain misleading Neil...
               Reply message No Jim, I was NOT misleading...
                    Reply message I'm not speaking for Jim or Jay...
                    Reply message If you want the best high ISO performance possible...
                         Reply message Now that's the truth Neil...
                              Reply message RE: Now that's the truth Neil...
                                   Reply message Well, I think we've beaten this one to death Neil...
                    Reply message RE: No Jim, I was NOT misleading...