Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400...

tederikson

US
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400?"

tederikson Registered since 26th Feb 2012
Sun 06-May-12 02:41 PM

This whole question invites some interesting philospohical issues for Nikon. Here are some points I am pondering.

1. Nikon sold a lot of highly margined "pro light" D 200's-300's. They made camera of the year, and graced the covers of photo mags. The 5000's, 7000's etc, are in a crowded, commodity priced sector where voracious competition, and excessive model proliferation with little significant distinction keep the margins very low. They are in incessant feature and mega pixel wars which are required to be constantly "upgraded" with marginally useful changes. Many such "features", get in the way more than they enhance the creative image formation sought by the "pro light" photographers. The cost of constant NEW, NEW, NEW, could be more productively applied to better image formation in the "pro light" market. Would you really rather have a bigger number of already sufficient mega pixels, or a cleaner, sharper, more natural image in low light situations?

2. So, are the mass market slr's getting worse as a result of all that. Of course not. The constantly improving sensor and processing technology keeps getting cheaper and trickles down the price scale. It also trickles down to the sensor size criteria for image quality, and most importantly, to the amount of light required to produce that quality image. I'm a Nikon guy since my first Nikon F. Bought my D200 the day it became available. My wife just bought a compact sized Canon G1X. It has an almost APS sized sensor,a built in lens and weighs less than most of my lenses. I tried it out in our living room. It took a terrific,sharp,noise free picture with the available light coming in from the northern exposure window about 10 feet away. Could my "pro light" triple the price and triple the weight D200 match it? Not even close. So I went to dp review and checked out how it does against a D300s at high ISO settings. You may not want to hear the answer to that question at 1600 ISO.

So,here's a question. What percentage of pro and advanced ametuers still need FX format and will still need it as much in the future. Today's FX format is becoming a studio camera. If you are a journalist, with a need for mobility, do you want to carry the weight of FX lenses? What kind of resolution does the publication print? What size? If you shoot weddings and need to carry a few bodies and lenses, do you have a chairopractor on retainer for your shoulder from carring that FX format bag? How big are your prints going to be?

3. Between the time of the earliest Leica's and the very latest super pro, 35mm slr's the picture quality of the BODIES never changed. Lenses evolved to greater versatility. Some were a bit sharper, but you could keep your Early Leica, or Nikon body working as long as the shutter clicked. I didn't mind paying a lot for a beautifully made Nikon F, I can still use it. Digitals are different. Your $4000 pro body will be obsolete in terms of real function in a few years. Another year or two it will succumb to a $800 successor to my wife's G1X. Camera's are no longer durables, they are disposables. I would need a lot of convincing to spend more than twice the considerable price of a D400 on a body that I know will be as obsolete as my poor D200 when the light is low, three years from now. To be honest, I would not choose the added weight of FX format even at the same price as a terrific DX, "pro light" body.

4. I've been a Nikon guy since the late 50's. Have a drawer full of lenses, and old film pro bodies. Fact is, I only use two of my old lenses, a 50mm f/1.4 and a 60mm macro. If there is no Nikon replacement for my D200 that takes better pictures than my wifes $800 compact, I'll be Canon makes one.

This is a hot, active topic! An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the D400... [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member , Thu 26-Apr-12 07:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message I got two messages from near the top at Nikon a week ag...
Reply message RE: An over fertile imagination perhaps, all about the ...
     Reply message Next time I need ISO 1600 on my D300...
Reply message Yes the D800 has an "inner D7000" except for the viewfi...
     Reply message Hmm...
          Reply message RE: Hmm...
                                             Reply message We've seen (and heard) this before Neil...
Reply message There are two types of too close Neil.
     Reply message RE: There are two types of too close Neil.
                    Reply message I really don't see the relevance of this discussion Nei...
                         Reply message RE: I really don't see the relevance of this discussion...
                         Reply message Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                              Reply message RE: Okay Neil, let's look at the pixel level...
                                   Reply message I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm not sure where you're headed with this Neil...
                              Reply message I was too polite to comment there Richard...
                              Reply message I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                   Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: I'm all ears and eyes Neil...
                                        Reply message RE: D400
          Reply message That is just plain misleading Neil...
               Reply message No Jim, I was NOT misleading...
                    Reply message I'm not speaking for Jim or Jay...
                    Reply message If you want the best high ISO performance possible...
                         Reply message Now that's the truth Neil...
                              Reply message RE: Now that's the truth Neil...
                                   Reply message Well, I think we've beaten this one to death Neil...
                    Reply message RE: No Jim, I was NOT misleading...