Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My issue with Nikon and the "D400"...

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: My issue with Nikon and the "D400"..."

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Tue 08-May-12 12:25 PM | edited Tue 08-May-12 12:38 PM by nrothschild

Those reading this thread should take a look at Gerard Pas's recent post in the Wildlife forum. He is using the D800 for birding and he seems to be thrilled with it, to say the least. His only problem is that he is now shooting passerines with a 300/2.8 and now has an imperative to upgrade to a 500 or 600, which you, Jim, already have .

Edit: Eric Bowles has a similar thread in the D800 forum here. There may be others already. I've been working on 3 hours sleep each night trying in vain to take advantage of the remaining spring migration season, so I'm not fully current on all the latest posts.

I predict we will see many more of these threads in the Wildlife Forum.

Two days ago I tried to shoot the Red Knots that were supposed to show up at Slaughter Beach, Delaware after the May full moon Horshoe Crab spawn. They did not show up. Yet.

Only the truly devout wildlife shooters show up at Slaughter Beach at 6am to shoot the Red Knots. It's about 3+ hours from any place that anyone lives, except the 50 residents of Slaughter Beach, which probably mail order groceries from Amazon. Mainly because it is about the most remote place left in the mid-Atlantic coastal area, It is about 10 miles to the nearest 7-11 (or public restroom with real plumbing) and in my book that is as remote as it gets for this area of the country

Anyway, I ran into a group of 3 photographers (all friends) that were all sporting brand new D800's with various long lenses. All were equally ecstatic about the D800 for wildlife. No one complained about the viewfinder. They generally felt that giving up 2 fps was a good trade for the other benefits of the D800. Since we had no Red Knots to shoot we unfortunately had some (too much!) time for gear talk.

I don't think the D800 is the perfect wildlife camera, mainly because Nikon elected not to let it shoot 8 fps in DX mode. But I think it well illustrates the paradigm shift that I think will occur once DX wildlife shooters think this whole thing through. It sure is making me think hard about how important those 2 fps really are to me, verses the other issues I have shooting wildlife on the D300.

my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! My issue with Nikon and the "D400"... [View all] , Jim Pearce Silver Member , Mon 23-Apr-12 08:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My issue with Nikon and the "D400"...
Reply message The D800 looks like a great camera to me...
     Reply message High resolution and high fps may not be so compatible.....
          Reply message RE: High resolution and high fps may not be so compatib...
               Reply message The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                    Reply message RE: The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                         Reply message RE: The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                              Reply message FX is maxing out every bit as much as DX...
Reply message They want people to "upgrade" to FX...
                    Reply message Quite frankly Arthur...
                                                  Reply message Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message RE: Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message RE: Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message No Neil, I don't shoot FX...
Reply message Here's part of what I'll say to Gerard tomorrow Neil...
     Reply message RE: Here's part of what I'll say to Gerard tomorrow Nei...
          Reply message Well, we'll see Richard...