Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My issue with Nikon and the "D400"...

Jim Pearce

Grimsby, CA
4397 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Your premise is your conclusion Neil..."

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004
Sat 05-May-12 04:53 PM

That is, that FX is the future for pro bodies. But let's look at the present: to shoot at 8 fps and close to my current average telephoto length of 1050mm (35mm and 12 MP equivalent, 500 f4 plus TC-14E on D300/s) I'd need a D4 and 600 VR and TC-14E (or my 500 plus TC-17E)which would put me at 980mm (cropped to 12 MP). Since using the TC-17E as part of my normal setup is unacceptable, this is a $16,000 upgrade cost - not $1,000. Even more unacceptable is the weight penalty - which is why I'd be inclined to look at Canon's 600mm IS II.

Now, I agree that a 24 MP FX body capable of 8 fps (with grip) could be the answer, but Nikon haven't put that on the table any more than they have pro DX (I think they have a far less capable camera in mind as "entry level" FX). Even then, I would have concerns about the viewfinder with my aging eyes. Until the cameras can shift the viewfinder magnification with an EVF this will be an issue.

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! My issue with Nikon and the "D400"... [View all] , Jim Pearce Silver Member , Mon 23-Apr-12 08:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My issue with Nikon and the "D400"...
Reply message The D800 looks like a great camera to me...
     Reply message High resolution and high fps may not be so compatible.....
          Reply message RE: High resolution and high fps may not be so compatib...
               Reply message The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                    Reply message RE: The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                         Reply message RE: The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                              Reply message FX is maxing out every bit as much as DX...
Reply message They want people to "upgrade" to FX...
                    Reply message Quite frankly Arthur...
                                                  Reply message Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message RE: Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message RE: Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message No Neil, I don't shoot FX...
Reply message Here's part of what I'll say to Gerard tomorrow Neil...
     Reply message RE: Here's part of what I'll say to Gerard tomorrow Nei...
          Reply message Well, we'll see Richard...