Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My issue with Nikon and the "D400"...

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4501 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: My issue with Nikon and the "D400"..."

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Fri 04-May-12 02:51 PM | edited Fri 04-May-12 02:57 PM by richardd300

I can't really fall out with any of the very comprehensive comments you make. I too am fond of old shoes and I guess my D700 falls into that category too.

<<I'm just arguing here that the high end body world is headed into two FX cameras, one a "studio" camera like the D800, but with the DX frame rate many of us want, and a lower density FX camera suitable for things like sports at 8fps or better.>>

No, I don't expect Nikon to invest in a low market APS-C camera without financial benefit, but I think they are playing a cunning marketing game. Maintain the D300s (in the UK even the D90 is still current) until a respectable fps FX camera is developed. That may well be the rumoured D600. When that happens bye bye D700. If it is a D600 and it has enough pixels to create a D7000 file size in DX mode then bring it on. However, we know the higher the pixel count the lower the fps due to buffering speeds. So, is this a viscous circle - increased pixels = lower fps.

I am not against, either by habit or stubborness, technology that meets the criteria I need. As an electronics and communications engineer for more years than I choose to remember advances in technology was and I still have a natural apetite for it. In all the projects I managed I always needed to be convinced that the investment was worth the result. The same rules apply to advances in photographic technology with an even bigger reason, this is also my money!

I don't think I'll favour the D800 as the FX side is currently covered to my satisfaction with the D700 at present. It's the DX (fps etc, etc) side I'm interested in and when that is addressed, in whatever guise a future FX camera takes, I shall welcome it and embrase it. Thanks for all your comments and they are extremely thought provoking.

We live in interesting times.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

This is a hot, active topic! My issue with Nikon and the "D400"... [View all] , Jim Pearce Silver Member , Mon 23-Apr-12 08:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My issue with Nikon and the "D400"...
Reply message The D800 looks like a great camera to me...
     Reply message High resolution and high fps may not be so compatible.....
          Reply message RE: High resolution and high fps may not be so compatib...
               Reply message The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                    Reply message RE: The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                         Reply message RE: The D800 is 4 fps at full resolution Marty...
                              Reply message FX is maxing out every bit as much as DX...
Reply message They want people to "upgrade" to FX...
                    Reply message Quite frankly Arthur...
                                                  Reply message Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message RE: Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message RE: Your premise is your conclusion Neil...
                                                  Reply message No Neil, I don't shoot FX...
Reply message Here's part of what I'll say to Gerard tomorrow Neil...
     Reply message RE: Here's part of what I'll say to Gerard tomorrow Nei...
          Reply message Well, we'll see Richard...