Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What metering system do you usually use?

RABaker

Sunnyvale, US
731 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What metering system do you usually use?"

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003
Sun 22-Apr-12 07:03 PM

I use center-weighted metering with aperture priority or manual exposure most of the time, and spot metering when the occasion demands. I was somewhat unhappy with the fact that at times matrix metering recommend very different exposure when I changed the composition only slightly. I guess I have grown so used to center-weighted metering that I am more confident that I can better predict the resulting outcome. I find that I make fewer exposure adjustments with center-weighted metering than with matrix.

I do use matrix metering for certain situations - such as when I want to use the camera in the full-auto Program mode while chasing my grandchildren around in the park where lighting can vary significantly (and the kids move pretty fast). Under these circumstances I don't want to take the time to think about each shot. But I still capture in raw + JPEG so that if I happen to get a really good image but I don't care for the exposure chosen by the camera I have the raw file to give me a little better chance of rescuing the image.

Good luck,
Richard Baker

A topic tagged as a poll/survey What metering system do you usually use? [View all] , trolley , Sun 22-Apr-12 01:19 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What metering system do you usually use?