Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
robsb

San Jose, US
14951 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Active D- Lighting - next steps"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 05-Feb-12 09:50 PM

"I'm sure it's a psychological affliction"

Rick I would say it is a very rational reaction. If you didn't want total control of your image, you would just shoot JPEG and let the camera do all the heavy lifting. I am glad Eric did the additional effort as I think I understand it a whole lot better now than I thought i did. I had been under the impression that the bin shifting was also applied to the RAW file because Nikon had told me that the RAW file was changed by ADL, but since it is not completely reversible as shown in Eric's tests, I now see that I had misunderstood what the Nikon tech had been telling me and that it had to be a non destructive edit step that was applying the bin shifting. That also makes sense along with Thom Hogan's comments that non Nikon tool Kit post processors could not properly compensate for the shift algorithm, though I think it was that comment that had me thinking it was baked in the RAW file. In the end we should all strive to understand what our camera features do and then decide for ourselves which ones we see value in based upon our work flows.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

This is a hot, active topic! Active D- Lighting [View all] , ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Thu 02-Feb-12 09:10 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting
Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting - sample files
Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting - recreating ADL in post
                              Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting - next steps