Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JonK

New York, US
6408 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Active D- Lighting"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Fri 03-Feb-12 02:40 AM

This just confirms my choice not to use ADL. We have a wonderful Matrix database of 30,000 to 300,000 (depending on the body) or perhaps use spot metering and the wonderful database in our brains (experience) to determine the exposure we want. For most images, this should be the exposure. So why let ADL change it???

Unless a particular image is a lot of shadow details — perhaps the subject of the image — I just don't see much value to ADL. And if I do have shadow issues, I can work them in post.

I can think of situations when shooting JPGs that the safety provided to shadows by ADL might be useful. But it's not for me.

Not to hijack the thread with another raging debate, but I have the same issue with flash and -BL — it alters the original ambient exposure. If I want to tinker with the ambient light/flash balance, I want to control that myself.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

This is a hot, active topic! Active D- Lighting [View all] , ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Thu 02-Feb-12 09:10 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting
Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting - sample files
Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting - recreating ADL in post
                              Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting - next steps