Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D200 Firmware Update

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D200 Firmware Update"

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 26-Jan-09 01:51 PM | edited Mon 26-Jan-09 05:01 PM by gkaiseril

Sorry to hear about this. But if you read this full post, you will find that Nikon is not consistent across the world with the warning about the MicroDrives.

One has to be very careful with firmware upgrades. Since there are 2 types of Compact Flash devices one has to make sure the correct one is used. There are Compact Flash Drives and Compact Flash Cards. The CF Drives have a mini disk drive inside and not solid state devices emulating a disk drive. Each type of card has its advantages and its problems. I have always preferred the solid state CF Cards.

The updates for Nikon cameras require the use of a Compact Flash Card. The reported problems are caused by a dying battery or use of the Compact Flash Drive.

I have not seen a lot of the CF Drives with the drop in IC prices. I keep some old 512MB CF cards just for applying updates.

Upon further research at the Nikon USA site, Nikon is not consistent with the warning about the use of the CF Micro Drive. It is mentioned on the Windows page for the 2.01 update instructions but not mentioned on the Macintosh 2.01 update page. Looking back at the 2.0 Macintosh update page also has this warning. I also checked the Nikon UK and the Netherlands sites and the restriction about the MicroDrives is only disclosed on the additional detailed instructions for both Windows and Macintosh versions.

You can try bring this over site to Nikon's attention and that this warning should also apply to the updates and should be disclosed on all instructions for any customer installed updates. I konw you are upset, but if you are polite and carefully explain the lack of this warning, Nikon may take responsabilty for this particular problem and revise their instructions with the proper warning early and often.

This issue with the Micro Drive, is the camera'a inability to use the MicroDrive upon bootup for the firmware update and not the computer used to perform the transfer of the programs.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

This is a hot, active topic! D200 Firmware Update [View all] , b2martin_a , Thu 06-Nov-08 10:59 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D200 Firmware Update