Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JoeSlotz

Philadelphia, US
364 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Mindstor Nightmare"

JoeSlotz Registered since 17th Jul 2002
Wed 28-Aug-02 12:02 PM

I bought a 10 Gig (1810 model) back on 8/14. I got to put it through its paces while on vacation last week. After numerous "Disk Not Ready" errors while downloading from CF card to Mindstor, I got the images in. I loaded in about 1 Gig of images over 4 downloads. It took 6 tries on one DL and I HAD to use the AC adapter. It just would not DL without AC power. Yes, I had the Auto Shutdown disabled.

Last night, I tried to download them from the Mindstor to my PC. After 3 hours of fustration I called Tech suuport (the Mindstor would shutdown or reboot while downloading every time which would lockup my PC - 10 times in all). I was put on hold for 20 min then told to leave a message. After a number of calls, I got through. The tech wasn't very helpful. He basically read the manual to me. Hey, I can read the manual too! After being transferred to the head of Tech support, he offered to repair it and send me my images on a CD...IN 2 WEEKS (film would be faster!). Excuse me, its brand new! It hasn't been dropped, bumped or bruised. (Though I did speak to it in VERY harsh tones!) My other choice was to send it back to D-store for a refund (less the usual charges). I hung up completely unsatisfied.

So, I went back to try again. I uploaded the latest firmware and drivers...AGAIN. The firmware was no problem, but the link on their site for the PC drivers doesn't work. Once DL'ed the file won't run. So I reloaded the drivers that came with it...AGAIN. I finally got my images out without their help. Needless to say, this sucker is going back. Their product is questionable and their tech support stinks. Its time to look for another alternative. A pocket full of 256M CFs sounds good now!

Just thought others might want to know...

Joe - Pennsylvania Nikonian
Its all just a trick of the light.
-----------------------------
Lighthouse Joe\'s
Lacrosse Photos for PhiladelphiaLacrosse.com

This is a hot, active topic! Memory [View all] , robert8487 , Sat 20-Jul-02 03:19 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Memory
Reply message It's just the ones they have tested...
Reply message RE: It's just the ones they have tested...
                    Reply message RE: Mindstor Nightmare
                         Reply message RE: Mindstor Nightmare