Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why high price on D4?

vangophotos

Paradise Valley, US
363 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Why high price on D4?"

vangophotos Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012
Fri 04-Oct-13 05:08 AM | edited Fri 04-Oct-13 05:19 AM by vangophotos

A few weeks ago I was shooting wolves and bears on rainy days in Alaska.
I was using the 200-400 f4 lens as was another photographer. I used the D7000 and D800, he used the D4.
Once the action started, I quickly realized that the D4 is king for action photography: high ISO + 10 fps and big buffer. My camera stopped shooting as the buffer filled up, his kept going. Priceless.

I love the D800 but obviously it's not meant for action. As I cannot justify owning both a D800 and a D4, I use a D7000 for better frame rate (compared to the D800) but its by far not a D4.

For me, the D800 and D4 should be priced similarly. Both are great cameras, they just fill different needs.
Fast memory is very expensive so that could explain some of the higher D4 price. The other differences (built-in battery grip, etc.) don't really explain pricing the D4 at twice the D800 price for me.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Why high price on D4? [View all] , grnzbra Silver Member , Wed 18-Sep-13 02:14 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why high price on D4?