Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Buffering time for long exposures

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Buffering time for long exposures"

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Wed 14-Aug-13 07:26 PM | edited Wed 14-Aug-13 07:34 PM by M_Jackson

You might also get a lot of good information from Royce Bair's site and blogs:

http://intothenightphoto.blogspot.com/2013/05/nightscape-photo-recipe.html

He does some wonderful night photography and he also does workshops and tours around the West.

Regarding your original post, I tried ISO 6400 on quite a few shots and tend to try to stay at ISO 5000 or lower if possible. And, even though you originally found it frustrating to have to wait for the in-camera High ISO Noise Reduction, I think you will find it is better to wait the 30 seconds or so and not have as much work to do in post production. Royce talks about it on his site, but there is a formula for the maximum exposure time based on the focal length. Some use 500 divided by the focal length and other use 450. Roughly 10 seconds on a 50mm lens or 20 seconds on a 24mm lens, for example. Anything longer and you will likely see longer star trails than you might want.

M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Buffering time for long exposures [View all] , stevertr , Tue 13-Aug-13 10:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Buffering time for long exposures