Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do I buy a D4 or wait?

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Do I buy a D4 or wait?"

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Thu 29-Aug-13 03:06 AM

Hi Ian,
Hey thanks for the comments! I have both a D4 and a D800. Both are amazing for what they do best. I started adding shooting data to the shots on the blog so people can see when I use each camera. In the past week, I added a single blog with daily updates about weather, closure, animal sightings and a few personal notes about how things went that day. Even though I live in one of the most "target rich" spots in the US (Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National Park), there are days (like today) that just fall flat. The blog is written for both tourists and photographers that are thinking about visiting the area or just want to keep current with what is going on.

www.bestofthtetons.com

If I had to pick, D4 or D800, and if money wasn't the issue, I'd still go for the D4 first. Others might disagree, but I love the big buffer and fast shooting for some of the wildlife. I do a lot of walking around the river bottoms this time of the year and added a 28-300 mm to the mix just so I have something relatively light in my hands if I come around a corner and find a moose in a pool of water. A few days ago, I had it around my neck when a bull moose was doing just that—plus I had a full moon just over his head. The 28 mm gave an option I never had before. The D800 was on the tripod with the 200-400mm at the time and I used it for the closer shots, but there would have been no way to get the moon in the shot with the long zoom lens.

Thanks again for the comments! M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Do I buy a D4 or wait? [View all] , Cowleystjames Silver Member , Wed 31-Jul-13 05:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do I buy a D4 or wait?